Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mouse!

We had our 20 week ultrasound right before the Thanksgiving holiday, so we were able to share the good news in person with my family and over the phone on the drive with Matthew's.

Unfortunately, the whole experience was rushed because they were squeezing our appointment in early, but we were just so thankful for their flexibility. After measuring the major body parts, examining the skull and spine, listening to all 4 chambers of the heart beating, and tracking the digestive system, they told us that everything seemed normal and on track for our due date. We then took a look to find out that we are having a little BOY! It was all so amazing! He had his hands and feet all up towards his face and it made this whole pregnancy-thing seem so much more real. Even though when you see other peoples' ultrasound pictures they look like ink blot tests designed for psychologists, being in the actual room with the nurse made him real in those images.

Of course, the first question we get after telling someone we are expecting a boy is "Oh, what are you naming him?" Now we have our list of possibilities, but we enjoy having time to think it over and find one that seems to settle with us before announcing it. So to dodge the question our response naturally is, "We are naming him Moose! And Sandee so cleverly came up with the spelling - M-O-U-S-E. So unique right?" Bronco Mendenhall is named after a horse, so we can have a Moose. I have a hard time admitting that I was trying to be funny about the spelling and didn't even realize that I had actually spelled the name of a rodent. Oh well, I just can't help how clever I am when I am pregnant...hehe.

We are now at 22 weeks and the little guy is certainly getting bigger and creating more room for himself in my stomach.

Matthew can now feel him move too; however, he is less than excited about the fact that it feels like a fish flopping around on the edge of my gut. He seems convinced that the little guy is going to cause some damage to my insides with all of that flipping. I am trying to wean him off of calling our baby my "belly monster." Oh well, I guess it still makes me laugh too :)

1 comment: